We look up to Fashionistas and Designers to let us know the best style trends to follow every season. Each year fashion weeks are an affirmation of the current style, and what you see on the runway is a prediction of upcoming trends. These trends dictate our shopping; our wardrobe and most importantly form the basis of our ensemble for the season.
I know so many people who’d choose to disagree and as much as non-conformists and idealists like to tell the world that they take themselves too seriously to care about what they wear (aka fashion) that’s really not the case. When designers showcase their creations on the runway, they provide a platform for the $1.2 trillion global Fashion industry to build on. From the runway: prints, designs, silhouettes, colours, craft and style trickle into the mainstream & fast fashion clothing industry making that trend available for everybody. So, even the smallest piece of clothing or accessory that you you see in the clearance section of a shopping mart, is actually the result of a super elaborate process that created fashion as we know it.
That being said Spring/Summer2016 has brought back some old school trends with a twist. From Kendall Jenner to India’s Sonam Kapoor everybody is reveling in these classics and putting their own spin to it.
- Coachella Dress: The Annual music and arts festival has inspired many a trend and most importantly the Coachella dress. Considered the Woodstock of our times the Coachella festival brings out the free spirit in you and the dress is meant to do the same. A loose, maxi silhouette in an organic fabric that treats your skin with love and lets you be casual & chic.
Available at: Shift by Nimish Shah
- Midi dress: Not all dresses can go from office to everywhere and won’t be considered in several social settings. Maxi dresses are too bohemian or too princess-y. There is a midway that meets both the styles and that’s the midi dress. Investing in a few midi-dresses makes your spring/summer wardrobe that much fuller, more wearable, and yes, even cooler.
- Dyes & ombres: A celebration of colour, the dyed and ombre prints provide for a true bohemian and whimsical feel.
- The bob with texture: Spring is going to be the season for midway. With dresses, heels, bags and even your hairdo. While long hair is romantic, while a short haircut is got courage, but you can take pleasure in the best of both worlds by having a short to mid length hairdo. While straight hair is ultra chic, and spring curls are high school cheerleader, take the stand and be the mid-20s girl with wavy hair. Add texture to your bob mid- length bob for that playful bounce yet not letting your hair go too out of place. From work to a premiere your hair is all set.
- The contemporary bucket bag: Not slouchy, not rigid but structured. This season the bucket gets a chic makeover, from a bohemian, crocheted piece the bucket bag emerges as a style statement, versatile in its purpose and unrestrictive in space.
- The classic white shirt with a twist: Originally considered to be a “men only” piece of clothing, women took this classic button down from the men and we owned it! And how! The classic white shirt has been through an endless number of twists and styles, but still always emerges as a staple piece in every girl’s wardrobe.
- Bell sleeves: Bell sleeve tops are on the fashion forecast for 2016! They are fun to wear with shorts, skirts, and your favorite pair of jeans.
- Bardot dresses, tops & jumpsuits: Perhaps taking cues from what was popular in 70s, more than a few designers showcased tops and dresses with cold shoulder silhouettes for Spring 2016. This season it’s all about shrugging off your sleeve.
Available at River Island
- Denim on Denim: Once a faux pas, the denim on denim trend is breaking the barrier and fast! The secret ofcourse balance. Know your body, flatter your shape and most importantly keep the accessories from minimum to none. Don’t try to steal the spotlight from this bold choice.
- High waisted shorts: As temperatures rise, you’ll be more than happy to cut down on length and show off a little more leg. With high-waisted shorts you can do just that and occasionally step away from the dress option. In the right fabric high waisted shorts are perfect for either a casual brunch or an evening cocktail party.
Available at Stylebop